Thursday, June 3, 2010

The story of the doll

I think I said in an earlier blog that I would tell you the story of the doll and why I gave my kiwi doll away. I had asked the brazilian girls Juliana and Christina how they had travelled to St Jean Pied de Port to start their journey - they told me they had flown into Pamplona and then taken a taxi across to St Jean - "Wow" I said that must have cost you - 80 Euros was the reply, but the taxi driver took us for lunch!! "Lunch! how strange" I said "I wonder why he would do something like that" Ah Juliana said there is a 'HISTORY'.... Of course there is always a 'history'
Juliana then proceeded to tell me about the story of the doll - Christina & Juliana had some friends who did the camino and who took the taxi from Pamplon to St Jean - the taxi driver gave them a doll that his wife made to remind them always of his country and perhaps they would then come back again to return the doll to him - they gave the doll to the the girls and they brought the doll with them back to spain - i'm not sure how they knew they had the right taxi driver but anyway as it transpired they returned the doll to the rightful owner who was so overcome with emotion that he took them to lunch - the story so stuck with me that I just knew when the time came to say goodbye to the girls I must give them the kiwi so that one day they would come to NZ and return it to me... now wouldn't that make some story...
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Jillian,

    That's a beautiful and true story.
    And to make it clear, we had the telephone of the taxi driver and we phoned him before leaving São Paulo. He waited for us in the Pamplona's Airport and he even cried when receiving the doll called Icaro.
    Now, who knows? Maybe in the next few years we will go to NZ to give you Kiwi back.

    Kisses
    Cris

    ReplyDelete