Friday, April 9, 2010

Day 1 St Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles


A very tough day today - walked from 8am until after well after 5pm - phew it seemed like it was all up hill -we travelled through the pyrennes -it was quite cool with some snow still about - walked most of the way with Barbara a German lady (from near Studgart) now living in Nambibia - she gave me one of her walking poles to try - I enjoyed her company as Blair and Jeremy took a different route down (harder but shorter) - Barbara was quite fond of saying oh my shattered soul or four five, six when she really wanted to swear - we both took the call of nature behind the first tree only to be sprung by a fellow pilgrim passing by - should have got the shewee Rae... towards the end of the day I was really plodding just one foot in front of the othere - so was so pleased to get to the alburgue - when I came back from my shower that evening I found the pole on my bed a gift from Barbara - have walked with it ever since - that night we shared with 103 other pligrims - so strange hearing all the different languages and see poeple trying to understand each other -as we were getting ready for bed ,met a lovely young man Dean from Tauranga but living in London - Jeremy walked with him all the next day..... I'm sure they went a lot faster without Mum....

6 comments:

  1. hi ma, pa and lil bro, me is following the blog... love hearing about it! i will have to do it one day.
    lots of love N&R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, how is it all going??? Heard there was an earthquake in Spain. Far out you guys stay safe and I am so glad it isn't me doing that walk Jilly.....Told you to take the she-wee.....How are you legs coping? You probably don't even feel that pain anymore... Ish and fam got away safely this morning. Peace and quiet....Luvs R xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good work guys XOX we love you John Mon Giana Leila and Maximus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like all is well on the walk... just logged in so I can follow you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK Brother if you see this comment, we found a house and it could not be more perfect. Good from the Cars, good living space... as you walk please pray. We are making an offer today. Love you both

    ReplyDelete